The Excellence Culture Coaching Academy was established to take the standard of coaching and coaching …
To understand what the Excellence Culture is, it is best to start by defining our meaning of the actual words; Excellence and Culture.
Let’s begin first with Culture.
When I was studying for my Post Graduate Diploma in Human Resources one of my assignments included research on the term Culture and I was amazed at how many different definitions and understandings of the term that I found.
Starting with Dictionary.Com which tells us that ‘Culture is the total of the inherited ideas, beliefs, values, and knowledge, which constitute the shared bases of social action.’
Then ‘The total range of activities and ideas of a group of people with shared traditions, which are transmitted and reinforced by members of the group.’
And finally to a shorter definition by Charles Handy, the author and philosopher who specialises in organisational behaviour, who tells us that it is ‘The way we do things around here.’*
If we were to continue giving you definitions, what you would notice is that they all perpetuate similar characteristics:
• Culture is owned by the particular group of people it applies to, this could be a whole organisation or a particular sub group within the organisation.
• It will be seen at a number of different levels within the organisation.
• Within an organisation there may be one united strong culture with other sub cultures that may support or be different to the united culture.
• The Culture will be drawn from sources such as values, beliefs, knowledge and experiences which will inform people’s thinking, perception, mind-set, emotions and behaviour.
• The culture will be passed onto new people and maintained by this process.
• The culture will assist people to solve and manage problems.
So within any organisation, or anything that we do in life, culture will play a major part in the performance and results that people get.
So let’s turn to the word ‘Excellence’.
The word ‘Excellence’ can be defined as:
The Oxford Advanced Learners Dictionary tells us; Excellence is the quality of being outstanding. It derives from Latin excellentia, from the verb excellere ‘surpass’.
The English Dictionary says that it is the state or quality of excelling or being exceptionally good; extreme merit; superiority
Vocabulary.com adds that Excellence means greatness — the very best.
So the old measures of the way to do business were ‘good’ and then we moved ‘from good to great’, there was also talk of providing ‘quality’ now the only standard is ‘Excellence’ as can be seen from the above definitions that surpasses all others.
With Excellence being the only standard to measure the performance of individuals and business it follows that you must have the Excellence Culture to achieve this performance level.
Any business that can create a culture of excellence will have people within it who totally believe in its products and services, its processes and procedures and its customers. They will promote, sell and sponsor it enthusiastically and voluntarily, as it is part of who they are.
This is why every business and individual needs the Excellence Culture. Contact us today to see how we can help you!
*Handy, C. (1985) Understanding Organizations (3rd ed.).